Saturday, July 28, 2012

Zucchini made YUMMY!


So a couple of weeks ago, I had some family stop by before leaving town and they were kind enough to bring me some fresh veggies given to them (they didn't want them to go bad when they left town, which I totally get).  Very nice of them.

One problem...

I rarely eat zucchini, and they brought me this:

A GIANT ZUCCHINI!!!!  I put it on a oven mitt to give perspective (ignore the blueberry on the thumb, that's from muffins earlier that morning that I will post about later).

It reminded me of why this add probably exists.
Image: www.nbcdfw.com
Yes, this is a real billboard here in Dallas.  And yes, I think it is hilarious.




So, What to cook with it....

And of course, thank you Pinterest for the wonderful suggestion of Oven Baked Zucchini Fries from Gina at skinnytaste.com!

Since I'm allergic to eggs, yeast, and most other normal things, I made a couple substitutions from her recipe, so below is what I used.

Oven Baked Zucchini Fries 

Ingredients:

  • 1 MONSTER Zucchini (or 2 small)
  • ~2 T. Soy Milk (I used melted coconut spread as a butter replacement but I think soy milk would help with crisping)
  • ~6 Wheat Thins Flatbread crackers
  • 2 tsp grated Romano cheese
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • Salt
  • Black pepper
Crush the crackers into crumbs, I throw it into my Magic Bullet blender but a food processor would work great too.
Put the crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder into a ziploc bag and mix together.
Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.

Dip the zucchini sticks into soy milk (or egg white as Gina suggested) then put into the crumb/cheese bag. Shake to coat.  Spread the fries out on the cookie sheet and lightly spray again with cooking spray. 

This wasn't all of the Zucchini but I thought it was enough for 2 people...I was wrong, I should've made more since these were so good.

Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown, flipping them over after ~15 min.




I served them with Spaghetti Sauce (didn't have any marinara on hand) and Ranch of course.  Mine weren't super crispy since I used the coconut spread instead of soy milk but were still delicious!  My boyfriend actually ate most of them since he liked them so much!

So that used most of the Zucchini, but with what I had left over still, I made this Cheesy Zucchini Rice tonight:
Cheesy Zucchini Rice from Buns in My Oven

It was GREAT!  Definitely a great way to get vegetables into dinner.

Just 2 more ways to use Zucchini and STOP vegetable abuse!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment